People for Access to Trails in the Hills at Stanford (PATHS)
We the undersigned support PATHS and these steps:
1. We request that Stanford rescind its punitive new regulations restricting public access to the Stanford Hills ("The Dish") as outlined in its Conservation and Use Plan (issued 5/2/00).
2. With utmost urgency, we request that the public have access to the Stanford Foothills through a network of unpaved trails and paths.
3. We request that Stanford map the area using GPS and GIS technology, make a fair and honest assessment of the condition of the ecosystem, and host a trail planning process in which the public, independent resource management experts and Stanford together create a Master Trail Plan for the Stanford Hills.
4. We suggest that the university develop a pre-eminent multi-disciplinary Land Management Program centered around the restoration of the Stanford Hills for the benefit of the public and wildlife together. That the university conduct research on this land in the emerging field of ecological restoration, becoming a leader in understanding resource management in urban open space parks.
5. We profoundly hope that Stanford recognize - not just in dollar value - the enormous resource it has in this land: as public benefit, fostering goodwill through community involvement; as research in resource management; as team-building within local companies through voluntary work projects; as beauty.
|Class year, if Stanford Alum.|
Please print, sign, and mail to
Palo Alto 94306-1208